Oé-Cusse Regionally

Oé-Cusse Regionally

Historically Oé-Cusse has had interactions with foreign trade and foreign traders living temporally while waiting for trade to be completed or winds to change.

Similar to the rest of Timor island, small clues are littered throughout the enclave. An area near Lifau is known as China lake, was traditionally known as the place given to Chinese traders to dock by the Oé-Cusse people. Early written Chinese references to Timor-Leste are found as far back as the 13th century. This established international trade was formalized by the arrival of the Portuguese in Lifau around 1515, when Lifau itself became the islands Portuguese capital. The name Lifau itself comes from Lean Faun, meaning foreign people.

ZEESM TL is following in this Timor-Leste tradition of sharing our heritage while trading with our international partners.

Many foreign companies with employees and dependents from countries as diverse as Brazil, Ireland, America, Portugal, China and Indonesia currently work in Oé-Cusse and languages as diverse as Tetum, English, Mandarin, Lais Meto (Baiqueno), Portuguese and Bahasa, are routinely part of our working atmosphere. Read our post regarding migration to and from Oé-Cusse.

Uniquely situated between the commercial hubs of Kupang, in the Indonesian province of Nusa Tenggara Timor, and Timor-Leste’s capital Dili, bordered by trading seas, and backed by a history of outward vision ZEESM TL sees what the Oé-Cusse people have always seen: opportunity in tradition.